Hello everyone did you know that coconut water is low in calories, fat free, cholesterol free, more potassium than four bananas, and contains electrolytes. Coconut water has less sugar than most sports drinks and much less sugar than sodas and some fruit juices.
I recently bought this young coconut from a street vender selling many coconuts from the back of his pick-up truck. The selling price is 20B which is equivalent to US 62 cents! Can you believe the price for this all natural and healthy drink. Beats buying a sugar loaded gatorade, fruit juice or soda any day of the week.
As you can see a young coconut contains the clear liquid water which per ounce contains 5.45 calories, 1.3 grams of sugar, 61 (mg) of potassium, and 5.45 mg of sodium. Compared to Gatorade 6.25 calories, 1.75 grams of sugar, 3.75 (mg) of potassium, and 13.75 mg of sodium. Which would you use? http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/truth-about-coconut-water
I'd say the only draw-back would be if you were going for a super long and extraneous workout such as a 4 hour tennis match or running a marathon would you actually need additional sugars then I'd recommend Gatorade or gel-pack with a bit more sugar content to keep the body functioning.
TOP 10 Health Benefits of Coconuts:
1. Supports immune system health: anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti parasite
2. Provides a natural source of quick energy and enhances physical & athletic performance
3. Improves digestion and absorption of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals
4. Improve insulin secretion (diabetes)
5. Protect body from cancer due to insulin reduction, removal of free radical fight against aging
6. Reduce risk of heart health and improve good cholesterol (HDL)
7. Restores and supports thyroid function
8. Helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infection
9. Promotes weight loss
10. Help Keep hair and skin looking youthful, prevent wrinkles, sagging skin, age spots, and provides sun protection.
Additional fun facts:
The coconut meat is high in fiber with one cup containing 7.2 grams more than 20% of daily recommended amount for most adults. Fiber aids in feeling more full if your trying to lose weight. Fiber assists in the digestion process by adding bulk to the still to help move through the digestive track. http://www.livestrong.com/article/376560-what-are-the-benefits-of-green-coconut-water/
With all this great information why not? As a young boy I used to dislike coconut anything. The coconut candy-bars, coconut flakes on cakes, and basically coconut related anything. Now, it has changed in a good way meaning do intake coconut in its natural form.